Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Confessions of a Blogger Slacker

This is my public apology for being possibly the worst blogger ever.  September came around and threw Field Hockey and school at me and left with my life!  By October I was drowning in car pools, high school drama, jr. high angst and gardens.  So when November brought it's own set of issues,  I had given up on this blog.  Sometimes life is just that overwhelming.  But now I'm back and glad to be here.  I hope my few straggling readers will give me a second chance.

SO The Cottage Gardener's first official  blog of 2011 will be about ...my dog, Bentley. 
"My little dog -- a heartbeat at my feet." ~ Edith Wharton

 I've never been much of a dog person; they drool, smell bad, sniff in embarrassing spots and can't take care of themselves.  But this little Sheltie came into our lives and completely stole my heart.  As soon as he was big enough, Bentley accompanied me everywhere: job sites, garden centers all over New Jersey and Pennsylvania (all my suppliers knew him), my kid's games, errands, practices, visiting friends - you name it.

                                   I became one of those crazy dog people. And I was crazy about Bentley!

As delightful as gardening is, it can get a bit lonely at times.  I work primarily by myself and get a little bored with my own company.  Bentley was a fabulous companion right from the beginning; he followed my every step, did dumb dog things to make me laugh, and gave me someone to talk to so it didn't look like I was actually talking to myself (which of course, I wasn't)  He was a great work dog, and next to Patrick Itterly, the most tireless employee I ever had.

After a long day of work, Bentley would generally crash almost as soon as his little body settled into the passenger seat of my car - it would break my heart.  Sweet puppy.

Last week, this beautiful dog was hit by a car in front of my house.  He died quickly but thankfully not before I had the chance to pet him, kiss his sweet snout and tell him what a wonderful, wonderful blessing he had been to me and my family. 

The loss is immeasurable and the pain piecing; I was completely unprepared for the grief and sorrow we are all experiencing at Bentley's death.  Gardening has been work, not a joy and I find myself looking for him countless times during the day.  Ah...dang!  I've made myself cry again, I need to wrap this up.

Bentley, you were a good dog, a good friend, a silly stinker, a faithful companion and a constant source of torture to Sugar, the cat.  We will never forget you and I will probably never stop looking down to see you at my feet.






















2 comments:

  1. I resonate with you in your grief. Although Jake was old and grey, the puppy would appear once in awhile when he saw a squirrel or greeted John when he walked in the door. Bentley was a sweet dog taken too soon, a great companion, a solace for heartbreak and a source of joy for you. Although both Jake and Bentley could be annoying and we'd sigh in exasperation at the discovery of a favorite pair of shoes chewed, the garbage knocked over and distributed all over the kitchen, we discover how much they meant to us in their passing. But like most everything, time helps to heal. You never forget, and you'll always compare every dog you have forever afterwards because no other dog can possibly measure up. But the sting will lessen with time.
    “He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.”
    Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim,
    I am crying with you! Ugh, they steal our hearts, don't they? Sooo sorry this happened. Thinking of you and praying for you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete