Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Monday, April 4, 2011

An Autumn Retrospective Part Deux



Today I want to highlight a few things I did outside.  I wanted to give the entrance to this property some interest and fun so I put together three huge corn stalk bundles.  To keep them sturdy, I hammered a 2x4 into the ground and tied the stalks to it layer by layer until I got to the final layer when I cinched them together with twine at the top, pulled some of the corn out and worked to make the tops pretty.  At the bottom, I put dozens of tiny pumpkins.  Though it was a pain to mow around, I think it was worth the effort.
















There are stone fence posts (or pillars) at the actual entrance of this property.  Again, I've been itching to do something with them, so this fall I draped them with grapevine and tons of bittersweet.  (The picture doesn't do it justice - a cell phone is only so good, ya know.  And I'm just too lazy to figure out the new camera.)  I placed the bittersweet before the berries popped, so the vines were still green and super pliable.  The grapevine was soaked over night in water to make it the same.  At the base, I placed the largest pumpkin I could find.  (I'm not actually sure its considered a pumpkin, but I'll call it that for now.)

  

 The summer window boxes were tired and needed to be refreshed, so I pulled out all the flowers and replaced them with ornamental cabbages, peppers, small mums and bittersweet.  I loved the combination!  To add a little whimsy, I put artificial twigs in the back.  What is special about these twigs is that they are covered with mini lights.  Because they're battery powered, I was able to stick the entire thing in the window box.  In the soft autumn evenings, these lights gave a bit of romance to the setting.

1 comment: