Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Back in the Saddle

Hello, Hello, Hello, my blogging friends!  I am back from my annual Field Hockey Mom break.  The season is over, the girls are alive and I have a bit more of my life back.  I hope I haven't lost everyone in the interim!

It's now November, all the fall gorgeousness is beginning to wane and my garden season is pretty much at an end for this year (with the exception of a few things I need to tie up, cut back and rake off).  I always get a bit sad and grumpy about now too, BUT I'm taking lots of Vitamin D and I'm focusing on the fact that it is also holiday staging time!  That always perks me up.

I have a new facebook page for the Cottage Gardener,  The-Cottage-Gardener, where I've been showing my stuff a bit.  I'm actually already posting Christmas pictures, but I will start here with my fall stuff. 







This is the mantle in the barn of one of my clients.  The stone work itself is so gorgeous, I wanted to make sure I wasn't competing with it but complimenting it.  As you can see, it is primarily neutral in tone.  With the exception of the shutter on the left and the live elements (pumpkins, flowers, corn, ect), everything I used in this project was a 'found' object.  I used some beat up old wooded candle sticks, an old window screen, two round cake plates, an old tin and a couple old tool boxes.  The grapevine I took from another project and the bittersweet vine I pulled off the the trees in a forest near my house.

I love the unexpectedness of the blue/green shutter against all the rustic fall color here.




I find the bittersweet vine needs the structure of the grapevine to give it the substance it needs - it can get lost on its own.

And below is a closer look at what I call my pumpkin topiary (although there isn't a pumpkin in the bunch).  I love stacking them to add height, color and texture.  I love this one.





Making things beautiful doesn't have to be expensive.  Dig around your garage or basement and hit your local junk shops for fun things to use.  You'll be surprised at how lovely you can make something.

Enjoy!

1 comment: