Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

lavender and sunshine


It is time to start gardening! Actually, it's past time, but the snow finally melted so today was the day and the project was the lavender hedge. As you can see, they look pretty bad. But it's still very early spring and they've been covered with snow for weeks.

I pruned them into a nice shape to promote growth at the bottom of the stems and to continue the idea of a hedge. It's best to prune now so that you don't hinder new spring growth. These plants have been in the garden for one year, so I can be a little tough with them. If you have older plants and haven't pruned them, you need to start slow and prune in stages.

The sun and the scent were wonderful. I'm so sick of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment