Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Monday, June 7, 2010

lady's mantle

Lady's Mantle: it is exploding in all my gardens!  The plants are so showy, they border on ostentation.  I am in love with them!

If you don't have lady's mantle in your garden, you should.  It makes a great border plant, ground cover and second mate to showier plants like roses.  They thrive in partial shade, but do well in full sun as well.  In the morning, the dew settles in the slightly cupped leaves and just sparkles.  In early summer, the plants produce a profusion of frothy chartreuse flowers that you can see here.

Once they flowers finish blooming, cut them back and you should get a few more blooms from them.  But even without the flowers, it is a wonderful plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment