Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Where to begin

"At Christmas I no more desire a rose
Than wish a snow in May’s new-fangled mirth; 
~ William Shakespear

It is officially Christmas time (at least it is in my book and because I'm the author of this blog, I guess that is that)!  I spent the last five days decking the halls (and lobbies and atriums and meeting rooms) of various hotels which was fun and interesting.  But today I got to begin decorating my residential clients' houses...ahhh....such love cannot be described.   I have had several requests for tutorials on what I do - which is a bit puzzling to me because nothing I do is so spectacular that anyone couldn't do it - but I decided to be bold and expose myself...don't go there.
 



Here I have a 'mixed green' wreath with a few pine cones thrown in for good measure that I purchased at a local greenhouse.  It's nice...just...nice.  But it's a good base.












I'm not wild about the placement or size of these pine cones - in my opinion, they lack signfigance placed this way.  So I cut them off the wreath and put them aside for later.









Although this is a mixed green wreath, it's not mixed enough for me.  So I popped out to my back yard and cut off a few bits of boxwood and cyprus, made some bundles then glued them into my wreath.




Note:  many people prefer to wire everything to their wreaths.  I find this limits exact placement and angle and takes forever.





And viola!  A very mixed greens wreath!
















I took one and a half of these awesome silver picks, cut them up and strategically placed (hot glued) them around to give the wreath an icy, blingy kind of look. 











The finished product:  I added back the pine cones, tied on a bow, glued on a gold, glass pine cone ornament and a few more silver twigs to tie it all together.  Pretty easy.  You can add you own colors, twigs, greens and bows to make it reflect you - it's very, very easy.



1 comment: