Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Let it snow...

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"
 - Sammy Cahn

Last week I used a Shakespearean quote about not wanting roses in December and what did I cut and bring inside yesterday??  ROSES!  I live in NORTHeast Pennsylvania for crying out loud and it's balmy and warm outside - puts a damper on my Christmas cheer, I gotta tell ya!

(probably just lost twenty readers due to that little rant - sorry)

Anyway, happy December 6th!  As per request, I'm jotting this down quickly before I head out to decorate a client's home: another little 'How To' - Christmas swags!  







Your first step is to determine the size swag you want.  Mine were going under an outside light, so I didn't want them huge.  Here I chose a solid branch and trimmed it to the size I wanted.













Then I began to wire other like sized branches to the top (please excuse the tired manicure - there are just not enough hours in the day this time of year).  After a few branches are added, you have your swag base.










Next I wire or hot glue the other types of greenery I want in my sway.  For this one, I chose holly, variegated holly and juniper.







Then I tie a ribbon around the top, making sure to tie it over the wires to cover them.  Once that is done, I cut off the excess branches at the top and trim the overall piece to make sure it looks good.













Then hang and enjoy!  Good luck with this one - I'd love to see pictures of some you have made.


No comments:

Post a Comment