Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Picture Perfect


I don't know about you, but I find it way too easy to fall into a rut and do the same things over and over again, even seasonal decorating.  When it is your business, that is unacceptable.  So this spring when a client asked me to re-do the mantle in her barn, I set out to come up with something new and different...and I did.





I started off with some frames I found laying around my garage (we all have those).  I removed whatever was in them, dusted them off, painted them flat white then painted two of them a springy blue and two of them lime green.




          
                                                                                                                                                               

  





 I wanted them to look a bit weathered, so as the frames dried, I gently wiped off some of the paint.  You can see the end result here and how easy it was.  Once they dried, and I played with them a bit on the mantle, I realized they just weren't quite right; they looked too clean and frankly, were a bit boring.  So I decided to give them a bit more character.



  Somehow I came up with the idea of adding moss to them...and it worked!  So I  hot glued the frame and pressed on bits of moss to different spots on each frame, making sure not to put them on the same on each frame. 










 I loved the result!  It gave the frames a unique look and added needed dimension.





But...

 It got to be too much of a good thing, and to do it to all four frames was just too uniform.  So I wrapped twine around two of them and added just a touch of moss to the twine.  On this frame, I glued a plastic egg in the corner.  Too cute.  I'll show you the final result next time. 



So have fun, be creative and see what you come up with on your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment