Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Getting a Grasp on Grass

"Sitting quietly, doing nothing, spring comes, and the grass grows by itself."
                                                                                    -Zen Proverb




Yes it does!  And if you don't do something about it, it will grow into a behemoth and ruin your design!  Now I am a lover of ornamental grasses and use them whenever possible.  They are elegant, fairly inexpensive, add height or width (depending upon which grass you choose) and have winter interest.   And while they are low maintenance, NOTHING is no maintenance.  So here is a what you should be doing now that spring is here.








This is a Pampas grass  I planted to hide some electrical stuff that couldn't be buried.  As you can see, it's pretty beaten up and has exhausted its winter beauty.  



 























 To encourage earlier growth, and give it a tidier look, you need to cut it back to about 4-6 inches.  Simple.











 Every few years, you also need to divide your grass.  If you don't, you will have a monster on your hands. Look at this mess (not sure who the dude with the duck bill was).













 
 


Dividing is simple.  Decide how much you want to save, knowing that your grass will grow 1/3 to double every season.  Then slice your shovel right down into it.  Dig down as far as the root and dig it up.  The delightful result of all your sweat is that you now have another beautiful ornamental grass to replant!  







Easy, easy and necessary.  Don't delay, you'll feel like a champ!   Look at all that new growth just waiting to take off!  





















2 comments: