Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

More Wind from the Hollow Farm





Here are a few more before-after pictures of Windy Hallow Farm.  The front yard was full of weeds, overgrown shrubs and plants and old, broken slabs of stone for a forgotten pathway.  Although, grass hasn't been planted yet, you can see the improvement already.




The previous own had filled the peremiter of the house with these stones; once we began the project, the excavator realized the stones had been put in about two feet too high, so it all had to be dug out and regraded to prevent rotting of the foundation. It was a dirty job, but sadly necessary.  Bluck.  I was covered with rock dirt for days.













To distract the eye away from this meter and to soften the angles of the house, we curved the sidewalk out and around the entire front.  In this garden area,I added a dwarf Japanese Maple for height and color.  Although it's difficult to see, there is a huge spirea in the corner which I salvaged from another spot on the property. Then I planted double knock out roses, a viburnum, delphinium, rudbeckia, and dark red echinacia.




This beautiful hosta was also salvaged from the property.  It is perfect nestled in this curve.













As you can see, this side of the house was in need of serious attention.  To keep costs down, I was able to grab these two huge boxwoods and this spirea.  When it becomes available, I am going to plant a winterberry bush in the space between the boxwood and spirea.
This is around the corner and shows the flow of the garden.  Again, I have double knock out roses, daisies and hydrangea.  It is a fairly low maintenance garden and suits the farm.

Next up: Window boxes!



1 comment:

  1. looks beautiful! I'm going to do a drive by and check it out live

    ReplyDelete