Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Fabulous Boxes

 


Today I want to talk to you about garden accessories.  Just like a great dress can be set apart by a beautiful necklace; a wonderful garden can be upped a notch by a few fun window boxes or pots or mirrors or...let your imagination fill in the rest.

For Windy Hallow Farm, I felt the house itself needed to join the party with flowers at the windows.  Not all of them, just four actually.  But as I was considering my options and budget limitations, I realized I'd have to think a bit out of the box (no pun intended) to get a unique look that fit the overall feel of property.  I didn't want the typical iron with coco liner, or something I could find at local garden stores, but I knew I couldn't afford the beautiful boxes I saw online.  So...one day I had an epiphany!  The owners had a very talented man, Mike Rogers, doing some odd jobs around the house and I saw that he was a skilled wood worker.  So I approached him about making a few boxes out of the barn wood I found on the property.  What was really fabulous about this wood, was the iron work still on it.  I asked Mike to cut the wood in such a way to have the hardware showing.  He did an outstanding job!  Each box is unique and gorgeous and it lends more of the farmy feel to the home itself.

 This show stopper is my favorite, so I put it at the front entrance.  Isn't it great?! 
 
  



If you look closely, you can see the handle on this box.  It is on the porch side of the house and adds a great focal point over the small table and pots I have placed there.


Although you can't see the hardware, this one is adorable as well.  It's a bit smaller and the window is higher than the others, so it really stands out on the side of the property.

I know most of us don't have beautiful, weathered barn wood sitting around our property, but if you think hard, you can find all kinds of ways to have something unique for your own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment