Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Windy Hollow Farm

Once again, I have neglected my blog, but it's raining today, so I am allowing myself to sit in front of the computer and play.  Yea!

I wanted to begin showing some pics of a new project we've been working on.  This farm is a diamond in the rough and has been a blast to design.  The goal was to completely reinvent the personality around the perimeter of the home, make the front entrance obvious (there are two entry ways), create a fairly low maintenance farm garden, design an outdoor eating/living area and rethink the parking.  We divided these into phases and have completed phase one.  I'm going to put up a few pictures to give you an idea of where we are in the process.
This is a picture of the side porch. It had great possibilites, but needed some imagination to make it an inviting space for the family.  I loved the pew and the firewood rack was necessary, so they were staying.  Then I began rummaging through the owner's home, and barn, and went to a local antique dealer; this is the result.






I found this adorable table in the owner's family room...with a TV on top of it.   Thankfully she was great about re-purposing it for the porch. The old clay pots, I grabbed at a Strawberry Festival in Falmouth, MA when I was on vacation, and the rest of the containers I found at www.oldeengineworks.com - my very favorite antique mall (by the way, thank you to my right hand man, Patrick, for pointing out that the really cool bucket I thought was for sifting millet or something is actually a minnow bucket and he has one just like it in his garage that I could have had for free) .

The side view picture shows an old buggy bench seat that I also sneaked out of the house (but it was full of jackets, so no on noticed).  Because I was able to use quite a few pieces the owners already had, the cost of this porch transformation was kept quite low.

Once the door has been repainted, the porch will be finished.  I'm really excited to post more about this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment