Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

soil, sunlight, ripping and decapitation

Its been crazy around here, between my job and my life, I feel frenetic.  The other day I took tons of pictures for the blog...and realized when I got home the memory card was still in the computer and not in the camera.  So this is take two.

As I plant, I think of so many tips for this blog; it's like a running conversation in my mind (ok, ok, I admit it, I am a chronic talker to myselfer anyway).  In one of these delightful conversations I decided that just in case I have novice gardeners reading, I am going to begin with the basics.

When planning a garden, soil and sunlight are KEY. 

While its true that different plants like different types of soil,  the majority of them prefer rich, well drained soil.  Well drained around here is generally not a problem because we live in Rocksylvania, but if you are unlucky and have thick, clay soil, get rid of it in your beds and replace it with good quality topsoil.  I am in love with mushroom compost; everything I plant in it grows like crazy!  Just make sure you mix it in well with your existing soil or you could burn your plants. 

Watch how much sun your garden area gets in a day, you may be surprised either way.  I recently planted a rose in an area I assumed had full sun only to discover that the roof  line of another building shaded that exact spot for hours.  Bummer for me.

Final tips for the day: root bound plants and pinching. 

All those gorgeous flowers you buy whether in flats or pots are gorgeous because the containers are so small the plants are forced grow quickly.  Thus when you take them out of their containers, you get a mini root ball.  Have no mercy; rip it apart!  I have included some pictures as an example.  This particular plant's soil was very moist when I planted it (always a good idea to make sure your plants aren't dry when you plant them), so it was easy to work with.  I take the root in my hand and break it open cross-ways.  The more root you expose to the soil, the better your plant will take root and grow. 

Pinching back - painful but necessary.  I will use cosmos as an example but I also do this with saliva, heliotrope, and zinnia, to name a few.  After you plant that sweet little flower, decapitate it: pinch off the buds and flowers.  I know, I know, it's brutal, but if you don't, your flower runs a very strong chance of being tall, leggy and scraggly.  Pinch back those first flowers/buds and more energy goes back into the actual plant to make it grow out and up.  Trust me on this one.  

I will be back soon (hopefully - sitting at the computer is one of the last items on my to do list - you should see how behind I am with my email!) with more.  Enjoy the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment