Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Monday, May 24, 2010

three is not a crowd

Hola!  Just a quick word about planting techniques.  I often see people planting their flowers in rows like little soldiers.  While this technique could be effective in creating a border, I generally stay away from it.  In my gardens, I like a mass of color rather than little specks dotted here and there.  So I plant in groups: usually threes.  That way the plant (in this case Victoria Blue Salvia - one of my very favorites) will make a statement and hold it's own against the rest of the garden.  With the exception of spreaders (wave petunias, nasturtium, licorice, etc), I plant all my annuals like this. 


In this picture, you can see how well the salvia holds its own against the hydrangea and cosmos (the cosmos were also planted in a group).  I love the way the blue color just grabs your attention!  Isn't it beautiful?

Anyway consider doing this in your own garden this year.

I am exhausted; another long, sweaty and dirty day in the gardens so it's off to bed with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment