Making the earth laugh

"the earth laughs in flowers" -e.e.cummings This blog is a journey into that laughter. From my childhood when my job was weeding the dreaded vegetable garden (which I despised with every fiber of my being) to my very early adulthood when I planted my first impatiens (which promptly died) to now - a gardening lover and business owner; gardens have made me feel something. This is my tribute to the hard work, the boring work, the failures and the immeasurable joys of gardening. Yes, I continue to garden...and laugh.

Friday, April 16, 2010

verses in spring


I love spring!  Really, who doesn't?  Ellis Peters said, "Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment."  Isn't that a delightfully true quote?  Now that the garden is waking up, I will endeavor to post some pictures along the way.  I've been weeding like crazy, laying Preen for the first time ever (will keep you posted as to its merits or lack thereof), and spreading holly tone and lime hither and yon.  All in preparation for the big build up of the blooming season.  Oh I can't wait!!!

The pictures I'm posting are of a fragrant and beautiful viburnum bush and a branch of the espaliered apple tree in gorgeous full bloom.


One last thought:

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.  ~Margaret Atwood



 

2 comments:

  1. a note on preen (or preen weed and green)...it is THE BEST cheat. you will find it very helpful in your quest to keep from having to weed too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope! I only have about three trillion weeds to pull without it!

    ReplyDelete